St. Charles Borromeo Cemetery
Cost: $29 (unframed)
Print 1 of a 2-print set. This print to be hung to the left of St. Charles Borromeo Church, School and Property.
Limited edition print in a series of 250 prints. Will fit into a 12″ x 16″ frame or mat it for a larger frame. Signed and numbered by artist.
Part of a 2-print set but may be purchased separately. Hang this print on the left side of “St. Charles Church and School” print for a continuous scene.
St. Charles Borromeo Cemetery is located on River Road along the Mississippi River in Destrehan, Louisiana. The cemetery dates back to 1740. The oldest existing grave of Germans on the Mississippi River is in this cemetery.
Throughout the graveyard, as well as the church property, ancient oaks abound with Spanish moss hanging from gnarled branches. From the time the Cemetery was established, each time the levee along the Mississippi River was removed back from the river, the families of those buried were notified to disinter their deceased and re-bury them in a new area. In some cases, there were no known descendants and new levees were built over cemeteries. Burials prior to 1800 must have been between the river and the present levee. Until Hurricane Betsy in 1965, the cemetery was filled with pecan trees. A Calvary Scene was erected on the cemetery grounds in 1966. In July of 1967, construction of the Mausoleum was begun. The Perpetual Light and Freedom Flame were dedicated on Memorial Day in 1969. The convent, Immaculate Conception Hall, was constructed in 1950. Sisters of the Immaculate Conception staffed St. Charles Borromeo School from 1948 to 1960. Sisters of the Most Holy Sacrament staffed the elementary and high school from 1960 to 1971. The model of the Little Red Church stands near the site of the first church built on the property.