St. Charles Borromeo Church, School and Property
Print 2 of a 2-print series to be framed and hung side by side.
This print to be hung on the right of St. Charles Borromeo Cemetery.
Limited edition print in a series of 250 prints. Will fit into a 12″ x 16″ frame, or mat it for a larger frame. Signed and numbered by artist. Part of a 2-print set, but may be purchased separately. Hang this print on the right side of “St. Charles Borromeo Cemetery” for a continuous scene.
The original St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church, a chapel of logs, was built near the present site of the existing church at Destrehan, Louisiana. Due to levee setbacks, the actual site is now in the Mississippi River, which runs along the front of the property. The church serviced the spiritual needs of the German and French settlers on both sides of the river. In 1806, the little log chapel was replaced by a frame building which was painted red and is known in history as the Little Red Church. For over a hundred years, the Little Red Church stood as a landmark for travelers on the Mississippi River. Levees were much lower back then and the red-painted church was clearly visible along the banks of the river. The altar consists of a walnut tree trunk shipped over from Italy which dates back from the time of St. Charles himself. It bears a 6-foot square marble altar stone.
St. Charles Borromeo Elementary School opened in September of 1929. Sisters of the Immaculate Conception staffed the school from 1948 to 1960. Sisters of the Most Holy Sacrament staffed the elementary and high school from 1960 to 1971.
In 1936, the Auditorium (Infant of Jesus Hall) and School Annex made its appearance on the school grounds. St. Charles Borromeo High School opened with the September 1948 semester. The school mascot is the “Comets” and the school colors are Blue and Gold.